[AMPS] Heath SB-230

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Heath SB-230
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 97 13:55:18 -0800
>Wow...those were the days.  I vividly remember building the
>conduction-cooled SB-230 when I was a sophomore in high school.  It was my
>vocational project that year, and I received an "A" from my EE instructor.
>
>I know I abused the hell out of that amp.  I never used ALC with my FT-101EE
>and consistently drove it into electrical regions never attempted by
>rational, modern man.  I used it for four years, then sold it with emission
>every bit as good as new.  As far as I can recall, I never had a single
>episode of arcing or another type of failure with it, despite my deliberate
>abuse <g>.

Did use a VHF parasitic-oscillation suppressor in the anode?  Did you use
an Eimac grid-grounding collet for the 8873?

>Now, close to 25 years later I have an Alpha 77DX.  I don't abuse this amp
>in any respect.  In fact, I baby the hell out of it.  It too, has been good
>to me without any trouble ever since I purchased it from the last export lot
>around 1990 or so.  Knock on wood: am I the only lucky one out there to be
>blessed with "perfect" amplifiers?

-  The RF-actuated bias scheem in the 77, which allows the 8877 to switch
bias into the non-linear region during voice transmissions, could hardly
be called a 'perfect' design.
-  Using a coupling-type capacitor for the 160m tuned circuit padder C is
seemingly not a perfectly good idea.  .

Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K