[AMPS] Heath SB-230

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Heath SB-230
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 97 10:01:57 -0800
>When a GG amp shows drifting output and grid current is this an
>indication of damaged cathode or grid? By this I mean drifting downward.

Gold-plated grids are susceptable to being coated with migrated
barium-oxide from the oxide cathode - IF the heater V is operated above
the max. rating.   Apparently, as grid temperature increases, anode
current decreases.  This condition has reportedly been a problem in some
Command 3CX800A7 amplifiers, as well as in the Dentron DTR-2000.  The
problem can be avoided if one measures the cathode's heater potential..
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K