[AMPS] two questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] two questions
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 03:30:25 +0800
hi ampsters,

two questions occurred to me while catching up on
my e-mail reading:

1:  "gain is mu*rp" ??? how??? gain is "mu" isn't it?
i.e.  Vout/Vin = gain = mu;
or... gain = gm*rp, but not a mixture of the two!

gain is dimensionless:  mu is dimensionless:
gm is a (trans)conductance with the units of inverse
ohms:  rp is expressed in ohms:  gm*rp = dimensionless

at least this is what i remember.  i'm pretty sure
the laws of physics (even in tubes) haven't changed.
i'm *not* sure my recollection of the laws of physics
hasn't changed, however.

2:  wouldn't a DC power supply like those used for
computers be a good filament source?  with a little
tweaking and/or modification they could be set to
the factory's recommended voltage, and they would
act as a current source (at the limiting value for
the supply) and as the filament heated up, they
would change over to a regulated voltage.  or is
the noise output of such a (typically switching)
supply just asking for another set of annoyances
when in receive mode?  (even if we have the "perfect"
amplifier, we probably want to receive at least
*some* of the time!)