[AMPS] two questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] two questions
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 08:43:25 +0100
George T. Daughters wrote:
>2:  wouldn't a DC power supply like those used for
>computers be a good filament source?  with a little
>tweaking and/or modification they could be set to
>the factory's recommended voltage, and they would
>act as a current source (at the limiting value for
>the supply) and as the filament heated up, they
>would change over to a regulated voltage.  or is
>the noise output of such a (typically switching)
>supply just asking for another set of annoyances
>when in receive mode?  (even if we have the "perfect"
>amplifier, we probably want to receive at least
>*some* of the time!)

A number of VHF mountain-toppers are using modified computer switch-mode
supplies for 6V heaters, to avoid problems with generator sags and
surges. Apparently the fully-enclosed and filtered units work well, but
I'm sure an open-frame or unfiltered switcher would be a disaster on
receive. Also, this is information relates to VHF - suppression of
switching transients may not be so good at HF.

Bottom line: it's worth a try.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek