[AMPS] SB-220 problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 problem
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 11:30:09 +0000
To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Date:          Sun, 7 Sep 97 01:30:54 +0000

Hi Carl,

> >Finally, the reason a 220 has less problems with arcing than higher
> >power amps is the HV power supply in the 220 is LESS than AL-80B
> >standards. It was a 600 watt CW output design, NOT a 1500 watt output
>
> More HorseCrap. The SB220 is a 2000W PEP input amp.

The  SB-220 DESIGN  specs are as I indicated. Look them up.

> Gee, I guess my years as Service Manager at National Radio dont count??

I wasn't aware National Radio serviced SB-220's, and sold and
serviced 3-500 amps. How many ground grid amps did National sell
and service with grids floated by capacitors to people with solid
state rigs?

> Tom. I have spent most of my life in the Service side of life. It makes
> no difference if it is ham amps or lawnmowers

I suspect they are very different, since gas is desirable in a Toro
and undesirable in a PA tube.

>Dealing with an upset customer requires patience and
>understanding.

Your example is well worth remembering.

>>  If you ignore any problems, you
> >simply go out of business (or sometimes in and out).
> A simple fact as exemplified by the past and present players in the amp
> business.

Amen.

Look at a person who keeps keeps starting and stopping a
business every few years under different names leaving people and
banks stuck with debt, and you'll probably find someone who puts
today's profits over tomorrow's business.

> >I doubt YOU, despite running a successful customer driven profitable
> >small business, can pull up a data base and track the service history
> >of two thousand new amplifiers a year, or look at the percentage of
> >returns on thousands of tubes in a year.
>
> Of course I cant, but I and many others can track problems across product
> lines that "house engineers" either refuse to admidt or are too hung up
> in their own importance to get away from the water cooler to investigate.

Some people can't stay away from the beer keg either.

> Just read DILBERT a few times to determine your own level in the
> structure.

I prefer engineering texts or experiments to education by cartoons.

73, Tom W8JI