[AMPS] impedance of nichrome lower

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] impedance of nichrome lower
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 97 17:45:04 -0800
>Sorry Carl,
>
>...snip...  ... it is the
>external resistor and the inductance value that mainly controls
>VHF Q.

The Tom Rauch/W8JI vhf suppressor had slightly more R and slightly more L
than the resistance-wire (Handy-Measures) vhf suppressor - so it had a
slight advantage.  However, at 150MHz, according to Mr. Stewart, the W8JI
suppressor had 44% more Q and 59% more Rp than the Handy-Measures
suppressor.

>...snip...
>Once the resistor is there, the Q of the material in the inductor
>(or the inductors Rp) matters very little. A very slight adjustment
>in turns and / or  resistance would easily make the two
>methods identical in system performance at VHF.

If that's true, then why did Mr. Rauch cancel his post of 28 November
1986 - wherein he proposed calculating the effect of 5 ohms of ESR in Ls?
  - - and why did he stonewall the issue ever since?  How about telling
us why you cancelled the post, Mr. Rauch?

During the grate suppressor debate, I repeated asked Mr. Rauch to design
a copper-wire parasitic suppressor that equaled the performance of the
resistance-wire suppressor.  I repeatedly asked Ian White and Wes to
design one.  ......... So far, nothing.

>At lower frequencies, it is another matter. Much more current
>flows through the inductor than the resistor. On ten meters, the
>nichrome suppressor would have much less Q ...

To see if this checks out, see Wes' measurements.

Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K