[AMPS] impedance of nichrome lower

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] impedance of nichrome lower
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 07:14:10 +0100
km1h @ juno.com wrote:

>>With a wide enough choice of R and L values, it is ALWAYS possible to
>>reproduce Rp, Lp and therefore Q, at ONE frequency. There is
>>absolutely
>>no doubt about that. Naturally you would choose the frequency of the
>>VHF
>>parasitic resonance in the PA that you're trying to suppress.
>

>Which is roughly determined to be the frequency of the highest amount of
>G-P feedthru...is that a valid assumption Ian?

Maybe... but it isn't directly relevant to this thread which is
basically about the network itself, not how you'd use it.

>In other words, the significant difference between the
>>two
>>types of suppressor is not at VHF, where their performance can be made
>>almost identical. The main difference is at HF.
>

>Contrary to other comments, I could not measure any meaningful power
>difference between either type on 10M in either a SB-220 or a TL-922.
>Have you run any actual tests at power Ian?
>
>Another point that disturbs me greatly is that the AG6K suppressor  in
>the N7WS article does not come even close to matching what is shipped in
>Rich's kits or  in his 2-11-96  5 page flyer.            Rich....am I
>missing something basic here??

As far as I remember, the suppressors were supplied to Wes by Rich and
by Tom. The surprising thing is that the measured parameters ever came
CLOSE enough to allow some comparison.

> IMO, this appears to throw a big WHOA into the discussion. Just what did
>Wes measure???
>
>At this moment I think we need to consider a new evaluation from a less
>involved and seemingly biased source. I would suggest a test at the ARRL
>lab that is witnessed by at least a representative of both sides.

Well, Wes originally was such a source - just a guy who offered to help
because he had access to the equipment and was an uninvolved party. Even
now, nobody is disputing the actual measurement data, only the
interpretation.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek