[AMPS] impedance of nichrome lower

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] impedance of nichrome lower
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:35:47 +0000
> EDITORIAL:
> -  It seems that intrinsic L in Rs is Not Good.   It seems that intrinsic
> ESR in Ls is Good -- as Mr. Rauch apparently discovered shortly after his
> post of 11/28/96 -- wherein he proposed adding 5 ohms of ESR to Ls and
> calculating the results. .... Awesome idea, Tom,  AND your estimate of 5
> ohms was astoundingly close to Wes' subsequent measurement of 4.7 ohms at
> 200MHz for the R-wire Ls.   CONGRATS.

Not all that difficult, since I measured several nichrome
suppressors here over the years Rich.

When all the BS is sorted out, the end result is there is VERY little
difference between the "magic cure all nichrome" and what was already
in most PA's.

As I said, I'm willing to supply loaner PA's to anyone caring to
measure the very small in-circuit differences. Of great interest is
the RLM hairpin loop suggested for 3-500Z's, which slightly INCREASES
the VHF Q of the AL-80A and B when compared to the stock suppressor.

73, Tom W8JI