[AMPS] impedance of nichrome lower

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] impedance of nichrome lower
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 97 10:59:03 -0800

>> EDITORIAL:
>> -  It seems that intrinsic L in Rs is Not Good.   It seems that intrinsic
>> ESR in Ls is Good -- as Mr. Rauch apparently discovered shortly after his
>> post of 11/28/96 -- wherein he proposed adding 5 ohms of ESR to Ls and
>> calculating the results. .... Awesome idea, Tom,  AND your estimate of 5
>> ohms was astoundingly close to Wes' subsequent measurement of 4.7 ohms at
>> 200MHz for the R-wire Ls.   CONGRATS.
>
>Not all that difficult, since I measured several nichrome
>suppressors here over the years Rich.

... and you did not publish the results because_____________?
-   It seems fairly obvious to me that you did not measure the *VHF*
characteristics of a resistance-wire suppressor prior to your post of 28
November, 1996.

>When all the BS is sorted out, the end result is there is VERY little
>difference between the "magic cure all nichrome" and what was already
>in most PA's.

A 40% advantage is "magic"?  Nah.  It's just a better mousetrap, not one
which threatens mice with extinction.  The only species that R-wire
suppressors seem to threaten with extinction are self-recognized
'experts'.

Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K