[AMPS] CENTURION FIXED TNX ALL

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] CENTURION FIXED TNX ALL
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 97 19:13:44 -0800
>That's  K4AUW Dennis.  Glad you are back up and running.
>73....Ron
>
>On Mon, 22 Sep 1997 07:16:42 -0400 CATALANO_DENIS_E@hq.navsea.navy.mil
>writes:
>>     I have finally got the Centurion working again.  Thanks to all
>>for the trouble shooting suggestions.  KA4AUW (Ron) gets the prize.  He
>>was right on saying it probably is the HV transformer followed by one leg
>> of the diodes.  That's exactly what it was.  The primaries of the
>> transformer had continuity, and 5 diodes were bad.  What went first,
>> and what caused it, is a mystery to me.
Mysterious indeed.  Diodes don't usually fail when a transformer develops
a short across its secondary.
>>Tentec seems to think a
>>line surge or lightning strike was the cause.  There was no visible
>> physical damage, nor was anything else fried.
A lightning strike usually damages the HV electrolytic filter capacitors.

-  I have heard about HV transformer failures occuring in some models of
Henry amplifiers during a HV arc to ground.  None of these amplifiers use
a 'glitch' R in the positive HV circuit to limit fault current.  However,
the Centurion uses a 10 ohm 25w 'glitch' resistor. The plot thickens.  I
don't buy the lighning 'explanation' because there would have been
peripheral evidence of such.
-  I would be inclined to inspect:
1.   the safety vents of the electrolytic filter capacitors.
2.   the glass coating on the glitch resistor.
-  I would be inclined to measure:
1.  the resistance of the VHF suppressor resistors.
2.  the grid/filament withstanding V at 3 - 5uA of leakage.
3.  the resistance of the glitch resistor.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K