[AMPS] CENTURION FIXED TNX ALL

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] CENTURION FIXED TNX ALL
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:15:02 +0000
To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Date:          Tue, 23 Sep 97 03:13:44 +0000

> A lightning strike usually damages the HV electrolytic filter capacitors.

Nonsense. Every bit of energy making it to the electrolytics very
LOW impedance must go through the diodes. The dodes are much less
able to absorb transient energy than the large electrolytics.

Does Ten Tech protect the diodes from HF transients with parallel
caps??

> -  I have heard about HV transformer failures occurring in some models of
> Henry amplifiers during a HV arc to ground.  None of these amplifiers use
> a 'glitch' R in the positive HV circuit to limit fault current.

They fail from corona eating away at the dielectric in the
transformer. Heathkit had this problem with SB-200 transformers also.

MANY transformer vendors do not use enough insulation at high voltage
gradient points, and the corona slowly eats through the insulation.

I'd be inclined to add some transient protection or more diodes.

73, Tom W8JI