[AMPS] CENTURION FIXED TNX ALL

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] CENTURION FIXED TNX ALL
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 97 09:20:29 -0800
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Tue, 23 Sep 97 03:13:44 +0000
>
>> A lightning strike usually damages the HV electrolytic filter capacitors.
>
>Nonsense. Every bit of energy making it to the electrolytics very
>LOW impedance must go through the diodes. ... ...

-  Agreed.  And what do the diodes connect to, Mr. Rauch?

>The diodes are much less
>able to absorb transient energy than the large electrolytics.

Typical diode strings have a 50% to 150% safety factor.   According to my
tests,  450WVDC-rated electrolytic capacitors are in Very serious trouble
at 25% over-voltage.

It does not seem likely to me that a lightning strike could: 1.   destroy
the HV transformer. - - 2.   destroy the diodes - - ... and yet not
damage the HV electrolytic filter capacitors.  OTOH, I have heard of a
number of cases where a HV arc somehow managed to do the hat trick.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K