[AMPS] Benefit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Benefit
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:42:09 EST
On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 12:23:46 -0800 Dick Flanagan <dick@libelle.com>
writes:
>At 8:54 AM -0800 3/14/98, km1h @ juno.com wrote:
>
>>Rich, myself and others have tried to explain since the beginning of
>this
>>reflector that the AL80xxx manual is a study in irresponsible
>operating.
>
>Is the AL-1200 a better product?  With better documentation?  Or does
>it
>continue MFJ's (poor) reputation.

That is a loaded series of questions Dick!

1. I feel that the AL-1200 is a GOOD product...not great but with a bit
of common sense it will give you excellent service.
2. The 3CX1200 tube is fairly idiot proof...like loading into the wrong
antenna at 2AM during a contest.
3. The early manual was horrible, the recent rewrite is quite good.
4. The "real" Ameritron used first class PS components. The last few I
had in here were using Mouser type parts. Not that they are bad....BUT.
It is like buying a Ford or from Sears; you never know what is
inside...they buy parts by price only.
5. Everyone praises their service department...they do honor the warranty
even if the back and forth freight will kill you. At least the 1200 will
have less round trips than the AL-82. If you do your own work then that
is a different story.

All done and said, the AL-1200 is the ONLY MFJ amp I would buy. BTW,
there was one for sale on the local DX cluster a few days ago. It had
high input VSWR problems and asking $1100.

I used to sell Ameritron and many YCCC hams and others bought from me
1986-90. Many are still running fine with the original tube. I just
refuse to deal with MFJ.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73, Dick
>
>--
>Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
>Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]