[AMPS] Another arc question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Another arc question
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 20:32:27 EDT
On Fri, 8 May 98 03:57:44 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:
>>Rich wrote
>>>  I have never claimed that our suppressors stop parasitics.

Rich and others...

All the Rp, Rs, etc leaves me confused and to be honest..turned off.
Using your early work as a BASIS I feel that it is both possible to have
a suppressor that will completely do the job at 28MHz but yet is still
100% usable at 50 MHz.
For the benefit of new readers...I rebuild many HF amps for 6M monoband
use....the SB-200 and 220 series being the most popular. It took quite a
bit of experimenting before I developed a parasitic suppressor that was
100% fool proof. YES..it is possible to use the identical suppressor in a
stock 2-30MHz amp...at 28MHz they run stone cold...at 50MHz just a small
bit warm. They also completely stonewall even the FL-2100, SB-230 and
other known touchy amps from parasitics.

My current version uses a pair of Mouser 100 Ohm 5W metal oxide resistors
with a 2.5" x  .25" strap of resistance material as the L...many of you
will recognize the old name "MuMetal" . Rich and I both appear to agree
that a L material that exhibits a very poor Q at VHF/UHF does have an
advantage over the classic 2W carbon/copper wire  style of suppressor.
We also agree that the 2W carbon is an antique thet is becoming very hard
to obtain at  a reasonable cost....call Newark for the current price on a
2W Allen Bradley if you want sticker shock!

Maybe it is time for a completely independent source to evaluate the
various offerings...damned if I know what mine will read....I used a GDO
and gut feeling to develop.

73  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]