[AMPS] Re: Properties of plastics at 10 GHz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Properties of plastics at 10 GHz
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 98 20:28:32 -0000
Brad,

>Today you replied "Why'd it take two hours?  Well, I
>was using a cheapo TS-130 with 100 watts and
>an old vertical at the time. "
>
>My Question is which antenna did you use ?

When I worked S92SS, I was using my vertical antenna.  I also have a G5RV
which as I said is at 35 feet.  At the time I worked Charles, the only
antenna I had was the vertical.  Since that time, I also have a Mosely
TA-33.

Also, you said two hours was due to inexperience.  Probably.  I had just
gotten back on the air after a six year absence.  My skills were rusty.
Or it could be just bad luck.  DXing, IMHO, is like fishing.  Sometimes
you get the big one soon, sometimes not.  I've spent entire weekends with
accomplished fisherman (which I am not) and caught nothing.  Other times
we've caught a lot.  Same goes for DX.  Anyhow, I don't have the "2 hour"
problem any more.

>Again I see no insult in this either, maybe I am wrong
>Since u were so emphatic about 2 rather than 4 I went
>and checked. That is where I found dipoles mentioned.

No insult taken.  I don't mind you questioning what I said.  If I didn't
make it clear which antenna I had used, that was my fault. I know I was
talking about multiple things at once and might not have been clear.

> DX is my thing like amps are urs.

You give me much to much credit!  I am really a novice at HF PA amps.
It's been a big learning experience for me.  My forte is cellular or
microwave amplifier stuff since that's what I used to do.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden