[AMPS] Kenwood TS450 & SB-200??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Kenwood TS450 & SB-200??
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 98 21:14:04 -0000
>Okay, I've got the hot-switching bit figured out.  What's the impact?  I'd
>guess that if the Kenwood is producing full output when the relay goes that
>for a moment the SWR will go crazy causing the TS450 to cut back on power.
>I doubt the rig would be harmed, but what about the antenna relay in the
>SB-200?

Well, considering that the relays were probably not designed to be hot
switched, you can damage them.  Then you have to replace them, etc.

If you are just doing SSB stuff, then it's probably not an issue.  Since
by the time you press the mic button and then speak, everything can get
engaged.  But for high speed CW, or digital modes such as amtor or
pactor, you have heap big trouble.

Even with SWR foldback on a rig, it's still not a good idea to knowingly
transmit into a pure open circuti.  That's why your manual tells you
never to do it.

>Other than the QSK mod is there anything else that can be done?  I looked
>at Rich's homepage, but this appears quite complicated.

Rich's QSK circuit is really quite simple once you read it over a few
times.  It's easy to build and works really, really well.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden