[AMPS] SB-220 TUNE Cap Arcing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 TUNE Cap Arcing
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 98 11:14:18 -0800

>>>I read that Carl suggested removing mods to go "original",
>>>but following the input circuit changes per Rich's suggestions
>>>to reduce VSWR (reducing coil windings and changing in/out caps)
>>>is pretty hard to undo.
>>
>>indeed, Jon, and for what?.  .  The idea that input SWR could be
>>significantly related to intermittent Tune-C arcing is not reasonable.
>>One of the nagging problems with parasites is that they are seemingly
>>female, and thusly can change their minds at any time.
>> .  As Murphy said:  Some things are more complicated than they look.
>
>Well, first of all, I wasn't sure which input changes Bennet had
>originally done.  Yes, you are correct, decreasing input VSWR should not
>correspond to the arcing.  What my thought was (and I am grasping for
>something here) is that if something is miswired or hooked in
>incorrectly, there could *possibly* be a problem.  I am trying to follow
>what I would do in this case.  To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, "When all
>reasonable explanations have failed, the one of the remaining
>possibilities is the answer however unlikely."  It went something like
>that!  So I am just trying to eliminate all possible sources of problem
>however unlikely they may be.
>
>I was under the impression that some of the mods he did on the input side
>might have been adding nichrome suppressors to the grid leads like you
>suggest.

The resistance-wire grid-grounding suppressors I recommend for the
4-1000A/8166 do not increase or decrease the inductance in series with
the grid.  Such suppressors decrease the Q of the unavoidable VHF grid
resonance.

> If one put too much inductance in that part of the circuit, one could cause
> potential instability.

True

>Same thing goes if there is not
>enough inductance (which is why you suggest adding some).

The 8166 is a special case due to the screen resonance at c. 25MHz.  In
some commercial 8166 amplifiers, a variable reactance is used in the
screen current path to gnd in order to bring about stability.  .

>Instability is not caused ONLY by the output circuitry.

VHF anode-resonance is seemingly a major part of the parasite problem.

>Anyhow, the question of wether or not his arcing is due to parasitics is
>still not settled in my mind.  That's why I suggested he go over with a
>fine tooth comb all of the mods he had done and look for errors.

positioning a neon bulb near the anodes when the Tune-C is intermittently
arcing might help.  A spectrum analyzer would be a bigger help.  A
cheaper method is to install lower VHF Q suppressors and see if the
intermittent arcing continues.
-  later, Jon

Rich. Measures.  Web site:  www.vcnet.com/measures