[AMPS] Line input wiring

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Line input wiring
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:55:13 -0800

>I'm not an electrician, but I think there's some bad poop happening on this
>topic.   The latest comment from Rich Measures, "Neutral is grounded at the
>breaker box.",  could lead someone to believe it's OK to use neutral as
>chassis ground.
>
>While Rich is 100% right in terms of how things should be connected at the
>breaker box,  you should not use the neutral as chassis ground.

?  To preclude the possibly of a fatally hot chassis, one connects the
amp's chassis to the Neutral from the mains plug.

>I was taught that neutral is NOT ground -

?   At the breaker box, Neutral Is earth ground.

>in that the circuit should never
>be connected such that the ground will carry current.  This is especially
>important in Ground Fault systems.

?  agreed

>In a device that requires both 240V and 120V, it will require the neutral as
>the current return for the 120V and a ground. Therefore will require 4
>wires: "A" phase, "B" phase, Neutral and Ground.

?  which is sorta silly considering that Neutral is going to be
automatically connected to Earth Ground whenever the amp. is plugged into
the mains.     However, if a GFI is used, a fourth wire is needed.  On
the other hand, GFIs are known to false/trip from RF, so you prob.
wouldn't want to use one for an RF amplifier circuit.  .

-  later, Bill

Rich...