[AMPS] Line input wiring

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Line input wiring
From: johnf@futurenet.co.za (John Fielding)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 10:37:18 +0200
In this country (RSA), the UK and many others, the "earth" wire is
connected to the neutral (centre) point at the step-down transformer.  (The
transformer is usually a "star" type with 3 phases for the Live (Line) and
a common neutral point).

It isn't an "earth" as such, unlike the ground rod which is sometimes
provided for rf grounding.

The 3 phases are normally colour coded red, yellow and blue and in a
residential installation the 1st house on  a street will be
connected to the red phase and neutral + earth, the 2nd house will be
connected to the yellow phase and neutral + earth and the 3rd house will be
connected to the blue phase and neutral + earth.

The 4th, 5th and 6th houses will be connected to red,
yellow and blue respectively (repeating the sequence for all the other
houses) to try and balance the total load on the transformer.

If a household needs a 3 phase supply the 3 phases are
brought into the property with the neutral, i.e. a 4 wire cable is used
with the outer sheath of the armoured cable being the earth connection.

In the single phase house the cable is a 2 core with live and neutral and
the outer armoured sheath is connected to the earth connection.

In modern installations the incorporation of an ELCB (earth leakage circuit
breaker) is fitted which, as Ian points out, measures the imbalance between
the live and neutral currents.  Connecting either the live or neutral to
the earth connection causes the main 2 pole ELCB to trip out and disconnect
the utility supply from the entire installation. In this country the level
is set to 20mA, earlier installations used 30mA settings.

So you can see that connecting the neutral to the chassis would cause the
ELCB to trip.  In any case connecting the live or neutral to exposed
metalwork is illegal under the wiring codes in RSA, the UK and
other countries following the European wiring codes.

It seems that the USA has a unique condition for house wiring which is
not necessarily  used in other countries.

Constructors and amateurs should exercise extreme caution when utilising
information in the ARRL handbook or US manufactured equipment as the
connections contained are specifically for the USA conditions and may
cause  electrical shock hazards or even death if incorrectly used in
other countries.

John    ZS5JF