[AMPS] ARRL and QST

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ARRL and QST
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 02:49:57 -0500

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:21:24 -1000 "Jim Reid" <jreid@aloha.net> writes:

SNIPPED

>Loss of advertising revenue,  together with fewer members,
>while lobbying activities may have in fact increased,  not
>sure,  and today's higher employment costs,  including
>higher payroll taxes/FICA/HMO,  etc. result in fewer
>pages and services.  However,  it  seems to me that
>services to members are still pretty high.

Yes they are

>I have not done a close look at article technical content/
>quality issues,  but much of the stuff in the Feb. '99 issue
>appears to be pretty good quality.  Maybe I should do a
>comparison of technical article pages vs. more news
>type article pages.  I suspect they publish what is made
>available to them,  also.  If the overall technical skills
>of our ranks should drop,  and it is from the ranks that
>much of the technical material comes,  then the quantity
>and quality both of such will surly also go down.
>
>Just some thought about  why the shrinking of QST magazine.
>
>73,  Jim,  KH7M

Jim, the QST technical content has been diminishing for at least 10
years.
Why? Because they and everyone else in the publishing biz is after
revenue. So what do you get...QEX, NCJ, Antenna Manual, VHF Compendium ,
various VHF/UHF Conference minutes published by ARRL and all their other
make money pubs.
QST has degraded to a newsletter along with some obsolete tech articles (
such as that recent switching supply) that forces the great unwashed into
spending more money.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]