[AMPS] Transformers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Transformers
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:49:33 -0500

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 16:58:43 -0000  Peter Chadwick
<Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com> writes:

>Carl says:
>
>       >Peter, do you mean completely potting in tar as was done ages
>ago?
>       >I have not had or noticed problems with open frame xfmrs that
>are
>vacuum
>       >sealed/impregnated.
>
>       My failure was a transformer that had no apparent
>impregnation:
>possibly a thin layer of varnish.
>       'Proper' transformers with vacuum varnish impregnation are
>another
>matter, but some of the cheaper
>       xfmrs don't bother with that - they just have a lick of
>varnish.

Thats what Dahl does to the mobile CBers..no sealing whatsoever. Those
users are too dumb to realize anyway and just keep ordering replacements.

The
>old 'tar' potting really needs to be a
>       vacuum job for best results. Some UK WW2 xfmrs were tar potted
>in
>vacuo: the ones for the Admiralty
>       seemed to always be generously rated, with current densities
>in many
>cases of 750amps/square inch.

Not much help when the U -boat sunk the Admiralty's best vessel!

>       Potted xfmrs do run hotter, but if they are designed for CCS,
>contesting shouldn't bother them.

And thats the rub. Show me any ham amp that has a true CCS rating at its
maximum output. A RTTY ham rating at reduced power is not even close to a
true CCS definition.
Alpha comes close with the 87A but they restrict the output in all modes.

One of
>       the UK built amplifiers that ran a pair of 572B's has a
>history of
>the xfmrs failing. The major reason for
>       this was that the original design specified 120 deg C
>insulation:
>this was expensive, and buying
>       decided on something cheaper under pressure from the boss.

I refused a large order several years ago from a company that wanted
Class H transformers. Some hams are unbelievably cheap and dumb but that
is not expected from a commercial operation.

Shades of Carl's stories of National!!

There are not many of us Nationalites remaining Peter!  I still have the
original potted xfmr, that runs very warm,  in a NCL-2000 prototype that
I converted to 6M in 1964. Hopefully it will survive 100-150Hr  EU QSO
rates again when F2 and Es hits here again.

>       If you can get them, mil spec xfmrs in sealed cans full of oil

I prefer sardines in oil myself.

73  Carl  KM1H

>are
>the thing......
>
>       73
>
>       Peter G3RZP

Woops,  gotta cut off the tails before Bozo wets his undies.

click
click

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]