[AMPS] slam tally

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] slam tally
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 14:10:00 -0400
At 01:44 PM 6/9/1999 +0100, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

>Rich Measures wrote:
>>
>>>neither should one publicly attack
>>>the intelligence, integrity, morals or honesty of one's opponent ...
>>
>>?  Would you consider it bad form to state that alleged facts were
>>contradicted by the personnel dept. of the former employer?
>>
>Yes, it's bad form, because:
>
>(a) Your assertion - which is contradicted by several other sources -
>is based on a telephone conversation with some random person in HR who
>had no incentive to give you strictly accurate information;
>
>but more importantly:
>
>(b) The whole point of your pursuit of Mr Miklos seems to be to smear
>his personal integrity because his technical judgement differs from
>yours.

Moreover, even if the above weren't true, there may be a perfectly innocent
explanation of the "discrepancy."  Most companies of any size have separate
salary "grades", that are distinct from functional titles.  I don't know
what an Engineer-B is in Varian's terminology, but it might be entirely
consistent with a functional title of R&D Manager.  It wouldn't be
surprising if the personnel people at Varian were told only to provide the
salary "grade" in response to a "blind" telephone inquiry.

73,  Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower