[AMPS] Peak reading vs True peak

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Peak reading vs True peak
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 07:43:07 -0700

>In tuning high power amps, a CW signal will drive the watt meter to a
>given level while reading the PO on the average watts scale of the meter
>(Autek WM-1).
>Then switch the watt meter to "peak", and modulating with a SSB note,
>the peak level is not much higher.

?  If the anode supply were regulated, there would be no PEP difference
between a dead carrier and SSB. .

> The amp has 3, 3CX800A's, and should
>carry max PO. Is it?
>
>Also, I have noticed some watt meters advertising TRUE peak power
>readings, like the new Amertron AWM-30. Is there a difference between
>peak power and True peak power?

?  In my experiences, any advertisement that contains the word "True"
should be treated with caution.

> Am I reading the real SSB power, and is
>there a needle delay on the upswing of the plate meter and the peak
>power meters?

?  I measure peak RF volts with a 50-ohm load, a calibrated oscilloscope
and a x100 probe that will withstand up to 2000v peak.  I convert
measured peak volts to peak watts with a calculator, and then divide by
the square root of 2 to arrive at RMS watts.  .

-  cheers, Jim

Rich...