[AMPS] Peak reading vs True peak

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Peak reading vs True peak
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:48:17 -0700

>>>What difference does it make that the anode supply is unregulated when it
>>>comes to peak power readings?
>>
>>?  peak power is related to anode supply volts.  When the anode begins to
>>draw heavy current, the charged filter C initially delivers a bit more
>>volts for a mS or so..
>
>Two problems here:
>
>1.) I'll agree that the peak power HANDLING capability of the tube can be
>related to its anode voltage.

?  this is not what I said.

> But to me the peak of a particular signal
>is based on the level of the input signal and the gain of the tube.  If
>you mean to imply that the tube has less gain with less anode voltage, I'd
>agree, but how much less?

?  depends on HV sag.

> Is it enough to make a difference?  If we hold
>the gain of the tube constant then all bets are off.

?  To do this, all supply potentials to the tube must be regulated.

>If the anode supply
>drops then following Ohms law, current increases and power remains the
>same.

?  no.

In the real world, I would bet that given the few hundred volt sag
>in the anode supply that the gain of the tube doesn't change all that much
>to be noticeable.  But if a tube has a gain of 10 dB and you input 100
>Watts, it will output 1000 Watts.  If the amplifier has an efficiency of
>50% this means you are dissipating 2000 Watts (input power).  Input power
>is the product of plate current and plate voltage.  If the input power
>remains constant then as plate voltage dips, plate current increases.  So
>I have a technical problem with your argument.
>
>2.) Let me requote you for clarity:
>>?  peak power is related to anode supply volts.  When the anode begins to
>>draw heavy current, the charged filter C initially delivers a bit more
>>volts for a mS or so..
>
>OK, second problem.  You say the charged filter C initially delivers a bit
>more volts for a mS or so.
>
>HOW??  The filter caps help hold the anode voltage closer to the no-load
>value but they certainly can't add MORE voltage to it can they???

?  With light loads, the filter C essentially charges to the peak v. from
the transformer.  The filter C maintains the charge. until increased load
consumes it.

>If the HV is at 5KV under not load, the voltage on the filter-C is 5 KV (no
load),

?  The charge on the filter C decreases under load.

> so how can the filter caps INCREASE the voltage?  I fail to
>understand what you are saying.  Perhaps I am reading wrong.

?  yes

>>> The CW signal is going to pull the anode
>>>supply down to a specific level.  The SSB signal will pull that anode
>>>supply down to the same level at its peak.
>>
>>?  HV sag depends on duty cycle.  SSB duty cycle is typically 15%, except
>>on Channel 6.  .   CW duty cycle is about 30%.
>
>OK.  So then.  If the SSB duty cycle is lower, then that means that the
>voltage on the anode is less

?  hardly.  As the load on an unregulated anode supply decreases, volts
out increases.

>which means the average voltage on the anode
>will be higher.  Therefore, by your argument, the higher the voltage on
>the anode, the more power.  Then SSB should see HIGHER peak power than CW
>because the sag is less.  This is not the case according to the original
>poster.
>
>Even allowing for your argument, still however, at the PEAK which is what
>we are talking about, the SSB and CW powers will be identical.  The sag
>will be the same.  And power out will be the same.

?  even though the duty cycle of the SSB and CW loads on the unreg.
supply are different?

>>> I fail to see how regulating
>>>that supply would make a difference in PEP levels between CW and SSB.
>>>
>>?  Because CW vs.SSB HV sag is different with an unreg. HV supply.
>
>Average sag might be.  But again, we are talking about peak levels.  At
>the peaks, all is the same.

?  It takes a calibrated 'scope and x1000 probe to see what be.

>You also made one other comment in a previous message that I question:
>
>>>Peak and average power for a CW signal is identical.
>>>
>>?  ... only if the anode-supply is regulated.  For a garden-variety
>>amplfier with an unregulated anode-supply, an oscilloscope indicates more
>>RF peak volts at the beginning of a dash than it does at the end.  On my
>>SB-220, the difference is more than 5%, and so is the HV sag.
>
>Are you sure this difference that you see from the beginning of a dash to
>the end isn't the typical overshoot one sees on a normal CW signal?

?  With ALC action, there is sure to be overshoot.  However, with the
drive control backed off a bit, the ALC threshold is not reached and a
series of dashes exhibits flat tops.  .

>If the transceiver doesn't put out a true square wave, but a ramped wave with
>a little overshoot, this will show up on the output of the amplifier and
>consequently in your RF voltage, HV sag, etc.

?  Quite true.  However, with an oscilloscope and HV multiplier probe,
one can see what's what, wherever.  Never leave home without one.  .

-  cheers, Jon

Rich...