[AMPS] Re: PS diode equalizing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: PS diode equalizing
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:59:05 -0400
Rich says:
> > The max. rated potential for a 1w resistor is typically 350v.

Phillips standard carbon SFR series 1/4 w = 250 v RMS/350 volt
peak.
1/2 w= 350v RMS/500 peak.

VR series (metal) resistor 1/4w= 1600 dcv 1/2w=3500dc
1w=10,000v

>From Belford the RMG1/2 is rated at 1/2 watt 1000 volts
continuous/ 2500v peak.

RCD's CF carbon film series type CF100 is 1000v peak rated. The
RG series is 2 kV RMS for a 1 watt resistor, 1 kV RMS for a
standard 1/2 watt.

Looks to me like "typical" is not the most accurate term, since
various types are all over the place in voltage rating.

> You can get 500 volt rated ones  -  I think from Philips. Not common,
> though.

You can buy 1000 volt and higher rated 1/2 watt and higher power
resistors all over the place, including Phillips. They aren't all that
rare, as a matter of fact they are quite common.

I would not depend on Hamfest deals or Surplus Sam's resistors
being more than 250 volts RMS, however.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com