[AMPS] explain this one

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] explain this one
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 06:53:15 -0400
> If the tank is resonated with too-light loading, the 'loaded' Q of the
> circuit will be much higher and so will the voltage.  This can happen due
> to an inexperienced operator or antenna switching mistake, etc.  I think
> the bandswitch doesn't have a great enough margin of safety.

You are correct Vic.

The voltage will soar to whatever value necessary to until
something absorbs the power.

It is virtually impossible to build a tank that will withstand voltages
with no load at full drive.

One of the demonstrations I used to do was with a MRF-150 FET
running at 12 volts, driving a tank with a loaded Q of ten. When the
the load is removed the tank voltage goes to over 100 volts on
peaks.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com