SV: [AMPS] VHF and 8122

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] VHF and 8122
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (Hans Goldschmidt)
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 18:08:00 +0200
The RCA CERMALOX tube 8122 was used in the HALLICRAFTERS SR 2000 and the
NATIONAL NCL 2000 ( two of them ) and in a  number of marine transmitters.
LA8AK reported years ago many difficulties with the 81221 at LYNGBY RADIO
Denmark. The same tube tube, without the cooler is the 8072 used in the
SIGNAL ONE. There is also a third version, the 8121, which is very rare and
cooled across the tube. Due to the unique grid cup construction those tubes
can take 100 MA grid current. The screen grid should certainly take even
more because it is larger and has  contact with the outside world through
its screen grid ring. The tubes are nowadays made by BURLE and EIMAC has
made a ruggedized version of them. Also I have seen a quick heat version of
the 8072 made by RCA.

Hi mu triode connected maybe a cheap replacement for the 8874 or 8875? Maybe
happy DENTRON owners? One has maybe to manufacture a cooler for the 8072.
Can anybody check if this is possible? I am planning to build a supercathode
version described in  - was it in 73 or CQ magazines?

Hej de Hans / SM5KI