[AMPS] TS940S CONNECTION TO HEATHKIT SB200 LINEAR

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] TS940S CONNECTION TO HEATHKIT SB200 LINEAR
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:36:26 -0400
At 10:29 AM 10/20/1999 -0700, measures wrote:

>>Hi Bill.  Have a TS-940S and just wired up an amp a
>>few days ago.
>
>?  The TS-930s has a hv npn transistor that keys the amplifier - without
>the delay caused by a relay.  The TS-940s uses a relay.   The relay will
>cause hot switching in any high-speed switching amplifier.  The article
>about the TS-440s on my Website shows a circuit that replaces the pokey
>amplifier control relay in a 440 or 940 with a 300v npn transistor.
>Total cost is around 50-cents.

This is part of the story.  Actually, the TS-930 can switch that line with
either a transistor or a relay, depending on a jumper setting inside the
radio.  However, the transistor switch in the 930 is not rated to handle
handle the SB-200 relay voltage or current - I think it's 60V/50 ma. or
some such thing.  I'm guessing the 940 is similar.  I was also warned
against trying to switch my SB-220 with the relay, without a series
current-limiting resistor.

For an SB-200, I suspect you get hot switching regardless of how fast or
slow the transceiver is...

73,  Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower