SV:SV:SV: [AMPS] Tetrode Amp Help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV:SV:SV: [AMPS] Tetrode Amp Help
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:22:56 +0008

Hi all,

Colin wrote...

< snip >

> A real advantage of the screen regulator circuit is that it provides
> absolute protection in case the plate voltage is lost for some reason.  I
> have built amps without electronic regulation on the screen that had
> excellent imd performance - but there was no protection for loss of plate
> voltage until I used a relay operated by the plate bleeder to give some
> protection.  However, if the rf choke had opened, I would have been in
> trouble.  There are some fine regulator circuits and boards available and
> they are highly recommended.

I had a nice little 4-65A CW only/ 40m only amplifier many years ago.
 I pushed it a bit too hard, and the RF choke opened.  A few
milliseconds later, the screen grid (which was regulated, but not
overcurrent protected) lit up like a press-25 flashbulb and died out
like one.  I then had a 3-65A.  The light show was fun, but with a
metal-ceramic tetrode, it couln't be appreciated.  Also, I think I
was spending about $5 for 4-65A's, and 4CX1600B's cost lots more!

Moral:  regulate and proctect the screen grid.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT