[AMPS] QRO or Commander?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] QRO or Commander?
From: w4th@webtv.net (Tom Hix W4TH)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 06:44:35 -0600 (CST)
On 02-27-00 you wrote:
From: "Jim Heath" <jimheath@foothill.net>
Subject: [AMPS] Commander and QRO
Do you have any opinions on either Commander or QRO amplifiers?
73, Jim KB6SX
------------------------------
Hello Jim, I selected the QRO amp myself. I think the QRO is a very well
built product, and I am pleased with the contact I have have had with
the company ower Ray Cohn. I have found them to be dependable and
trustworthy.
The QRO HF-2500-DX I have will produce 1500 watts with 25-35 watts
depending on which band it is operating on. It seems to run cool and
best of all it is quite. I hate a noisy fan in anything.
But if for no other reason the price of the tubes in the two different
amps makes the QRO the hands down winner. The QRO uses the 4CX800A
tubes, and the Commander uses the 3CX800A tubes. The replacement price
on the 4CX800A tube as listed in RF Parts is $179.95, making the cost
for a set to retube the amp $359.90 and the last price I saw on the
3CX800A is $389.95 making the cost for a set to retube the amp $779.90.
So if for no other reason the tube replacement price is a good reason to
choose the QRO.
Now for the sure enough high power guys, both QRO and Commander sell an
Export version and both are rated at 3500 watts output. The QRO runs a
pair of 4CX1600B tubes, and the Commander runs 3 of the 3CX800A tubes.
The total replacement cost for a pair of 4CX1600B tubes used in the QRO
3KDX Mark II  is $735.00 and the replacement cost on a full set of
3CX800A tubes for the Commander HF 2500E is $1169.85
The last difference worth mentioning is the price difference. The
Commander 2500 is $3095.00, and the QRO HF 2500 DX is $2895.00. The QRO
has QSK as a standard feature, but it is a $250.00 option on the
Commander. So the Commander equipped the same as the QRO is $3345.00,
which makes the cost of the QRO $450.00 less.
The Commander 2500E price is $5695.00. The QRO 3KDX Mark II price is
$4295.00.
So the price difference on the "big guns"
is $1400.00
So all other things being equal, I will pick the QRO every time.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
73
Tom
W4TH