[AMPS] tuning up a tetrode amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] tuning up a tetrode amp
From: Ku7i@worldnet.att.net (Lane Zeitler)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:17:33 -0800
I am almost embarassed to ask this. However, since my ego is inversely
proportional to my waistline.........I have recently acquired a superb HB
amp covering 160 to 10. Uses Dahl components in the PS, vac. variables in RF
deck. built professionally by a EE (now SK, RIP). The tube is a single
4cx1500. My questions is how the heck do you tune this up? I have used
triodes all of my life sans my TS-820/830 which use beam power pentodes in
the final (2X 6146) but I just tune for max power on these. I have always
avoided tetrodes mosly due to my ignorance of the tune up procedure.

The amp has metering for screen I and E and also grid I and E as well as
plate I and E. What is the value I need to watch? I assume that it is not
safe to tune it like my 3-500zs which is usually just tuning for max power
out with a string of dits at 60 wpm?

Also, what is the going rate for a good 4cx1500 pull? I figure they are not
too bad since the military used/uses them and they have been around longer
than I have been alive.

Lane
Ku7i
San Diego

PS I am anxious to see how well my "new" Johnson Ranger will drive this!!!