[AMPS] Dumb directly heated cathode amp operational questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dumb directly heated cathode amp operational questions
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:53:53 +0100
Adding to Rich's comment, fans/blowers using ball race bearings are appreciably
noisier than those using straight sleeve bearings, especially, in my experience,
when they get old. I gather they have a longer life, which is attractive in
those circumstances where the noise isn't a problem.

If you like lathe work, then you can turn up suitable phosphor-bronze bearing
sleeves, with lubrication points, to modify the fan/blower............on the
other hand, you might just prefer operating! (I turned up the sleeves because
the blower was free, and I'm mean!)

Anybody know about the noise producing proclivities of needle bearings? I
suspect they're little better than ball races

73

Peter G3RZP