[AMPS] Testing HV Psu

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Testing HV Psu
From: steve@g8izy.freeserve.co.uk (Steve Eldridge)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:15:09 +0100
Hello All,

I am nearing completion of a new HV psu. This time, I am doing the job
properly with due regard to safety and reliability.

My question is : Is there a "tried and trusted" way of  introducing a
dead short-circuit across the supply, preferably repeatedly- apart from
shorting with the proverbial screwdriver!

I am considering making a well insulated "knife switch", with the earthy
side to the handle (and the hinge supplemented with copper braid) behind
a clear plastic screen. Unless there are some better suggestions....?

For background information, the PSU consists of 1550 VAC rectified into
nominally 60uF- Appx 2200V, Secondary resistance is 22 Ohms. 20x 1N5408
Bridge and 10x 600uF 300V. Surge limiting resistor is 2x 30 Ohm TV
dropper resistors in series. (this takes 1 kW from the mains for 15
seconds before solder starts melting !!). This limits the short-circuit
current to about 37A.

I have studied all the litrerature available to me, but so far I have
drawn a blank on this.

Thanks & 73 Steve G8IZY.