[AMPS] Bird meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bird meters
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 12:43:33 EDT

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 08:01:22 +0100  Peter Chadwick
<Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com> writes:

>Does anybody know a good way of producing the longitudinal slots on a
piece of
>1/8inch diameter brass rod so that it fits the centre of the Bird pick
up line?
>I need to change the connector without paying Bird prices.....So far,
it's cost
>me a $15 slitting saw that shattered and three goes where the brass rod
has
>broken. I have something that works, but I'm not too proud of it, even
though
>it's hidden away where it can't be seen.
>
>Hand sawing without a jig is a problem. Making the jig by hand is just
as much
>of a problem.
>
>73
>
>Peter G3RZP

Hi Peter,
   I think you've already lost.  Bird connectors are about $8 each.

  Whether produced by hand, or by mill, I would certainly think that
those slots are produced with the brass rod held in a jig.   Something
along the lines of a small block of  steel with a hole milled (with some
kind of crazy bit that will match the taper on the rod!) to accept the
rod, a set screw from the side to keep the rod still and a slot for the
saw.  Cut one slot then rotate the rod 90° and pray! or maybe insert a
small piece of shim stock in the first cut?

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!