[AMPS] Switches

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Switches
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:32:34 -0400
Hi Dave,

> Well Tom, instead of making inflammatory personal attacks, why don't you
> tell us the answer?  This really isn't the scientific and professional
> approach that one would expect of a person in your position.

At least that's better than the "position" you suggested in e-mail to
me!

> Can't we all just get along.

We are talking about one aspect of the problem now, and the
others have been discussed at length.

The problem is increasing the voltage breakdown of the switch, and
preventing load faults that cause such voltages. I suppose there are
switches turned while transmitting, but as Peter says the biggest
problem is getting a switch big enough to be the last component to
arc.

I think an intentional spark-gap is a good idea, but I've also
wondered how to keep the anode clamped from going negative
during open-load conditions at the downward peak of the RF cycle.

If the anode could be clamped to never swing below ground
potential on the downward pull of the tube, the peak voltage would
never exceed twice the anode voltage because of tank Q. Maybe a
fault detector could look for a "below chassis"  or "near chassis"
swing of the anode voltage and disconnect drive.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com