[AMPS] 4-1000A Project

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000A Project
From: zs6arf@telkomsa.net (Wynand van Wyk)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:50:06 +0200
Hi, I'm confused now.

My main power supply is a 3670 0 3670 NATO transformer with inductive input
filter.

My mains 220 - 240 volts  is supplied to the soft start circuit input
through a VARIAC (10A).  Similar to the 10A Variac in page 27-29 of 1991
ARRL handbook (3500 V power supply)

My no load high voltage is variable 100 - 4850 volts.

I have in the past two years been driving two 4-250's , one 4-1000A , two
4-400's with this same power supply.

The VARIAC after a Sundays use with above amps only gets hand warm.

I used 100 watts (20 meter band) from my ICOM IC761 with the 4-1000A at 3500
volts and my YAESU wattmeter showed 2000 watts PEP.

Confirmed with a borrowed BIRD meter to be slightly more than that.

Linear based on the U-2 Linear Amplifier as appeared in RADCOM

If I'm testing MURPHY with the above please explain, as I am a self-taught
amp builder and no expert.  Any advice welcome.

Wynand

ZS6ARF

zs6arf@telkomsa.net