[AMPS] 4-1000A Project

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000A Project
From: na9d@mindspring.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 18:11:52 -0500
on 4/3/01 5:09 PM, gd0tep@qsl.net at gd0tep@qsl.net wrote:

> Perhaps what i should have said is that my amplifier will be mono band,
> 50mhz.
>
> Oh, and i'll be using the 4PR1000a...    pulse tube.

OK.  A 6m amp will be more tricky.  But the tube should still work OK.
Stabilizing it might be more of a challenge, but since you are just using it
in a 4 MHz wide or so bandwidth, it shouldn't be too bad.

What sort of questions about the design do you have?

One suggestion I have is that you will not need a tune C.  All you'll need
is the tank coil and the load C.  The reason is that by the time that it is
in its socket and in the chassis, that the 4-1000A has about 15 to 20 pF of
capacitance.  That is more than enough for a decent Q tank circuit on 6
meters.  Adding any additional capacitance with tune C will end up causing
your tank circuit to have a value of Q that is too high and you'll have too
much circulating current and poor efficiency.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden