[AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 07:54:29 +0100
Vic Rosenthal wrote:

>> ARNE GJERNING wrote:
>>
>> The other question is the concern of 50Hz vs 60Hz. Any problems here or
>> precautions needed.
>
>I built a 3300v power supply with the intent to use it in a 50 Hz country as
>well as here in the US.  I asked Peter Dahl about this.  I was told that the
>magnetizing current in the primary of a large 60 Hz transformer operating on 50
>Hz would be excessive, enough to burn it out.  Much more iron is needed in a 50
>Hz transformer -- the one I finally got weighed 60 pounds (27kg), compared to
>an
>equivalent 60 Hz only unit weighing 40 pounds (18 kg).

Interesting figures... so the total weight of the transformer increases
as something like the square of the core cross-sectional area. Seems
about right.

And then the capacity of a blower with an AC induction motor DEcreases
with about the square of the mains frequency. It's small wonder that so
much "50/60Hz" equipment is sweating when operated on 50Hz.

I wonder how many developers in the 60Hz hemisphere actually have the
capability to test equipment at significant power on 50Hz?

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek