[AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:05:45 -0400
Hi Bert,

ZL3REX said he received your card on 160. He heard you fine in
spite of your using 60 Hz power mains.

> other entities on the DXCC list).  We in VE/VA land have been
> officially metric for many years now, although the transition has been
> humourous in many instances.  For example, buying a 4 liter can of
> paint and finding that 4.54 liters will cover 8.759 square meters!

We have taps and dies, and can correct most bolts. It is the nuts
we have a problem with, but the they are everywhere.

> > The use of 220/230v mains vs 110volts (which most of the world
> > thinks quaint) more than compensates for 60 vs 50hz. (Yes, we know
> > that 220v is available in most US homes , with a bit of help from an
> > electrician.).
> >

> I doubt if any homes in the U.S. or Canada are solely 115 volts.

All homes are 240 volts, and have been for a long time. Not
220...not 230. The standard is 240v 200 ampere mains now. We
haven't had 115 volt mains since the 40's.

The Church across the street (the original owner of my land let
them use an area of his property for a church and school) still has
110 volt wiring. It has a single bolt-in fuse with a knife switch on the
wall, and porcelain insulators with cotton-covered wire. The 110 volt
drop comes from a transformer almost 1500 feet (around 450
meters, for those who have never ordered a dozen donuts) away.

That late 30's wiring and feed system, installed when electricity
first came to this area of Georgia, reminds me a lot of the wiring
and distribution system in New Zealand.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com