[AMPS] Buffer/Driver Stage for 4-1000 Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Buffer/Driver Stage for 4-1000 Amp
From: w6ru@bak.rr.com (Terry Gaiser)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:11:57 -0700
Todd,

Unless you are wanting way in excess of 1500 watts output from your 4-1000A,
a 100 watt solid state exciter will do nicely, despite what some of the
so-called experts on this reflector have claimed. My 4-1000A runs between
1200 and 1500 watts output 160-10 (non-warc bands) meters with 4 KV on the
plate and 100 watts drive power. If one wanted, I could see raising the
voltage to 5000 volts and easily getting the 1500 + watts output on all
bands with 100 watts drive. I use a 1:2 broadband torroid input transformer
with a band switched parallel tuned circuit at the cathode for input
matching.

Photos of this amplifier can be seen at:

http://www.angenent.org/W7IUV/w6ru/w6ru.jpg

Good Luck,

Terry W6RU