[AMPS] Buffer/Driver Stage for 4-1000 Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Buffer/Driver Stage for 4-1000 Amp
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Lamb)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:24:49 -0700
Hi Todd:

Any time you add another stage, you need to be concerned about deterioration
of the signal by a few more db.

The 4-1000 is pretty clean.  The 811A can be pretty good.  But once you put
the additional tubes in the middle, you risk overdriving the 811 tubes
and/or the 4-1000.

One nice thing about the 4-1000 and a 100 watt rig is that the 4-1000 will
not flatten out.  My experience is that overdrive is the number one reason
for splatter.  Some amateurs think ALC solves the overdrive problem, but it
masks.

At least with the 4-1000 and a 100 watt rig and no ALC, I know that no
shouting into the mike during an exciting time will cause splatter.  That is
worth something.

A ham close to me opeates a SB-200 using 572b tubes into a 4-1000 amp.  He
has everything turned up wide open and splatters for very wide range.
Fortunately, I operate in the same 10 khz window, so I can rationalize that
even a good signal would wipe everything out.

73,  Colin  K7FM