[AMPS] FT100D driving Alpha 87a

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] FT100D driving Alpha 87a
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 06:52:47 -0500
on 8/1/01 4:25 AM, Tom Rauch at w8ji@akorn.net wrote:

> There are actually several problems that cause problems. One is
> many new radios have very poor transmitter IMD performance. Look
> at the TS-2000 as an example. It is almost class C quality, yet
> reviews all ignore that fact.

I think the RSGB's publication pointed this out.  I was talking to G3RZP at
Dayton and he told me he read it was a piece o crap transmitter.  Pretty
amazing they'd sell a radio for that much with that kind of an output.

Have you looked at the new class A mode of the FT-1000MP Mark V?  That seems
like a great way to go when driving a PA.

It's just amazing that the manufacturers don't spend more time putting a
better PA in their outputs.  It isn't that difficult or costly!

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden