[AMPS] FT100D driving Alpha 87a

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] FT100D driving Alpha 87a
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:50:50 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Ogden <na9d@speakeasy.net>
To: W8JI@contesting.com <W8JI@contesting.com>; Amps Reflector
<amps@contesting.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: 02 August 2001 13:15
Subject: Re: [AMPS] FT100D driving Alpha 87a

>on 8/1/01 4:25 AM, Tom Rauch at w8ji@akorn.net wrote:
>
>> There are actually several problems that cause problems. One is
>> many new radios have very poor transmitter IMD performance. Look
>> at the TS-2000 as an example. It is almost class C quality, yet
>> reviews all ignore that fact.
>
>I think the RSGB's publication pointed this out.  I was talking to G3RZP at
>Dayton and he told me he read it was a piece o crap transmitter.
 The RSGB review fell far short of criticism. The IMD levels were measured
in the -20s and, as best I recall, the review commented something to the
effect of 'could be better'. Peter saw it as crap because he understands the
numbers - to those who don't the review would not have given the impression
that the performance was unacceptably poor. I'm saddened by that, as the
reviewer has always been held in high esteem, and often points out poor
performance, such as phase noise in modern receivers.

Steve