[AMPS] Plate Choke test with MFJ-259B

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Plate Choke test with MFJ-259B
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:22:51 +0200
The plate choke resonances depends by its inductance and windings
capacitance, but stray capacitance also play a significant role. In
other words the same plate choke inside different amplifier can result
in different resonances likewise a different phisical positioning may
actually shift them in the same PA.
Expecially with the introduction of WARC bands, and with 160m coverage,
there isn't a single *perfect*, choke unless such choke is referred to
a peculiar amplifier and installation.
I check plate choke resonances using the spectrum analyzer and its
tracking generator connected to the output, with everything in place
(giving the proper load with a resistor across tubes and ground) and
tuning the PI on each band of interest.
By experience, switching a couple of chokes gives a net result between
1.5 and 30 Mhz while a single one with *parked* resonances is quite a
compromise and time consuming.

73,
Mauri I4JMY