[AMPS] 3-500Z

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-500Z
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:04:26 -0700

>Is the 500mA limit one imposed on safe conditions for the anode, or for the
>cathode?

//  Neither.  The 3-500Z has a linear peak-emission limit of c. 1.2a.
This corresponds to c. 400mA average.  Initally, the 3-500Z had a rating
of 350mA.  This was later increased
to 400mA.

>The question is based on SOA regarding Pdiss; I run my AL80B at all sorts of
>(intermittant) high current levels but without exceeding 500W dissipation,
>seems to take it very much in stride for the past 10 months of
>operation...no apparent change in anything:

//  On CW or FM, this will probably fly ok.  On SSB, driving a 3-500Z
above 400mA could result in a surprise tar and feathering at a hamvention
or flea market.

>600mA @ 2600V = 1560Wdc input; output (measured) = 1100W; apparent
>efficiency 70%, apparent Pd = 460W (realizing some drive power appears in
>the output).  Under these condx the amp is just hitting a small amount of
>compression (<1 dB) but with more drive the output will continue to climb;
>problem is Ig, which gets hard to keep below 150mA when you drive it too
>hard.

//  The grid diss is rated at 20w,  150mA x 85V  is way under 20w.

>What, exactly, is the issue?  Does Eimac even still manufacture a 3-500Z?
>
>WB2WIK/6
>
>"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
>Henry Kissinger

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end