[AMPS] Thunderbolt questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Thunderbolt questions
From: Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <K4XL@arrl.net (Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:16:51 -0500

> At 07:11 AM 11/6/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >Damned bean counters kept that amp from being a real barn burner.
>
> A very unfair comment.  The rules changed long after that amp was
built.
> When that amp was built the legal limit was 1000watts average plate
input
> power.

Perhaps a wee bit unfair to the MBAs.  8*)

Rules?  Brings back memories of the endless debates back in the late
'50s over the definition of PEP and how you could measure it and whether
we were permitted to run 2KW PEP.

> Today in some modes to get the 1500 watts PEP output power amps have
to run
> 2000 watts (75% efficiency Class -C) and even up to 2500 watts (for
less
> efficient ones Class AB)
>   average plate input power.
>
> 73
> Bill wa4lav

Legal considerations aside, it was an anemic amp compared to the "barn
burners" I was competing with at the time.

73,
Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net
*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu or
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr