[AMPS] Power Supply Transformer Voltage Ratings Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Power Supply Transformer Voltage Ratings Question
From: ko4nrbs@yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 06:50:06 -0800 (PST)
If I require a 1750 volt power supply for an amplifier
that loaded will draw 1 amp of current how do I
account for the peak voltage (1750 x 1.414).  In other
words the 1750 volts will peak at a little over 2400
volts unloaded and this is what the capacitors will
charge up to.  If the tubes are max rated for 1750
volts then I would be supply too much voltage to them
when they were not drawing significant current.  Does
this mean I need a lower voltage transformer to
account for the peaks and just make sure this
transfomer's VA rating can supply the load without an
excessive voltage drop?
Thanks and73,
Bill

=====