[AMPS] AL811H on AM

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL811H on AM
From: R_Davis" <WD8JJA@arrl.net (R_Davis)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:23:34 -0500
This brings up a question I have always had.

We are always urged to tune for maximum power out at maximum drive.  For
SSB, I tune my FL-2100B (you guys already know this has 572B's) with 100
watts drive at ~50 dots per minute (or whatever the max. of my keyer is) for
maximum output, which is usually around 800 watts A0 into a dummy load.

Now, for AM, RTTY, or some constant carrier mode, should the drive from the
exciter be reduced without retouching up the tune/load controls?

I typically repeak the output of both transmitter and amplifier when I
reduce the power.  This gives more power output with less plate current. The
Plate control doesn't change much, but the Load reduces a lot when power is
reduced.