[Amps] Glitch resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Glitch resistors
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:21:19 -0800

>Richard wrote:
>

>> >On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:02:43 +0000 "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.com>
>> >writes:
>> >
>> ><snip>
>> >
>> >Hi Ian,

>> >  Here are some real pulse rated types... not just ceramics that (may)
>> >happen to survive the event.
>> >
>> >  Kanthal Globar (who acquired the Carborundum product line) makes a good
>> >assortment -- their resistors are rated for both pulse voltage and
>> >energy.  Take as look at the AS parts.
>> >
>> >  Ohmite has a new line that would be suitable for the application with a
>> >pair in series -- look for the AY & AZ prefix
>> >
>> ?  To test a glitch resistor, short the HV+ to gnd.  [Before doing this
>> test, install suitable glitch diodes across the meters and across the
>> grid current and anode/plate current shunt resistors]  The glitch
>> resistor should not exhibit physical damage or a change in R.  If the
>> glitch resistor does pass the test, discard it, install two such
>> resistors in series, and repeat the test.
>>
>> -  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734,AG6K,
>> www.vcnet.com/measures.
>> end
>>

>Isn't the idea of a glitch resistor to act as a fuse ? Don't you want it to
>open on a glitch?

?  When an overloaded glitch resistor is in the process of exploding, a
metal-vapour arc briefly takes place.  The V-drop across such an arc is
c. 20 volts.  Thus, the arc does not do much to limit peak current flow,
which is/was the primary job of the glitch resistor,  With no defined
limit on peak fault current, tube damage is likely.

cheers, Gary

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end