[Amps] Antenna vs. amp (was: al-1200 question)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Antenna vs. amp (was: al-1200 question)
From: g8gsq@qsl.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:41:37 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: WYsixK <wy6k@yahoo.com>
To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@qsl.net>; Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: 11 March 2002 16:55
Subject: Re: [Amps] Antenna vs. amp (was: al-1200 question)

>Steve,
>
>Virtually every object emits background RF radiation that can be heard with
a good antenna,
>although I'd be a bit puzzled that you could hear it on a freq as low as
144 mhz with a single
>yagi.  You can clearly hear this background radiation with a high gain eme
antenna system.  Point
>it at the sky and you hear a certain noise level.  Point it at the sun and
you hear sun noise.
>Point it at a grove of trees 4 miles away and you can hear the trees.  An
explanation that fits
>your set of facts is that you were hearing sky noise and a higher gain
antenna will certainly
>incrase the level of sky noise that you hear.  It would be pretty constant
on all azimuth
>headings.  But a little experimentation - point at sun and terrestrial
objects -  will prove or
>disprove the hypothesis.
This was my original thinking, it was sky noise, but it also implies that if
I put up 8x19 instead of 4x19, then I won't see a s/n improvement on a
distant station. Vic's and Tom's explanation of what goes on says that you
do get a s/n improvement on a distant station, but (I think) it also implies
that you should hear the same amount of noise from any efficient antenna, be
it dipole, 2x9 ele or 4 or 8x19ele.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to compare 4x19 with 8x19, so all I get
is brainache!

Steve